Thursday, June 18, 2009

Toddler Time Thursday

This week over at ABC & 123's prize picnic, we are talking about ways to keep your little ones entertained in the car, and on the go.

This is a huge issue over at our house. My daughter has ALWAYS had a huge issue with the car. It didn't take long for us and our pediatrician to learn that she was getting motion sick because from her car seat facing backwards. So for a year, we constantly dealt with screaming on any car ride over 10 minutes. :(

After Molly was big enough to face forward, things are much different. Here is what works for us to keep our 20 month old happy in the car.
We have a set area of the closet that she can reach to pick out a certain bag. (There is one for car rides, one for church and one for restaurants (this one has a bib, fork, crayons, etc already inside))Then she gets to pick what to fill her bag with, any toys or books that will fit. She seems to like the toys more, because she was in control of what to play with. It also help keep the car clean, since when we get home it all just gets thrown back in the bag.

Head over to the picnic to join in or read other great ideas!

8 comments:

  1. This bag idea is genius, thanks for sharing! I especially like that it solves the "car constantly filled with toys" problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to have bags for different places. We are always scrambling to pack stuff for Church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good idea Kim to have the different bags for certain places. I've thought about doing that, but to be honest I'm lucky I leave with MY bag half the time. We do have a dedicated church bag with some religious picture books in them for ER but otherwise I store a lot of things in our trunk.

    PS: I am really sorry to hear that she had such a hard time traveling at first! I can completely understand. Once I ended up sitting facing backwards in the back of a limo and I felt very sick to my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have a baby who had motion sickness in the back seat. I can see how you'd be more than ready to flip that seat around!!
    I need to keep separate bags. We often get to church and realize that some of the noisy take along toys are in our church bag...not so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using different bags for different situations, what a great idea! I'm glad your daughter doesn't have to face backward any longer. That must have been so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your idea of letting your child choose what she wants to take. We should practice this more often, but we taught our daughter that she can only take one or two things. Lately she takes her Fisher Price toy camera and pretends to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. Very convenient and I love that you use three different bags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete